Thurmont Police Chief Greg Eyler took a swig of bottled water last Saturday and immediately spit it out. He’d almost swallowed a pill.
Now the mystery is how the capsule got into the bottle.
Eyeler told the Frederick News Post he was halfway through the bottle of Dasani water when he came upon the pill. He described it as a 1.5 inch blue and yellow capsule. He opened it and found a powdery substance inside.
"I haven't gotten sick or anything yet," he told the News-Post. "Hopefully it was nothing."
The bottle was part of a 24-pack Eyler bought at a Thurmont convenience store, he said. The pack was wrapped in plastic, and the bottle cap’s seal was intact until he opened it Saturday.
The pill, bottle and leftover bottles from the pack are being tested at the Maryland State Police crime laboratory.
Dasani water is manufactured and distributed by the Coca-Cola Company. The company is also investigating the incident.