Police say a student brought the drugs into Thomson Elementary School.
D.C. police confirmed that a substance ingested by students at a Northwest elementary school was cocaine, according to D.C. Public Schools.
Several children became ill when they ingested a powdery substance Thursday at Thomson Elementary School, located in the 1200 block of L Street. Some took it orally, while others inhaled it through the nose.
D.C. Fire and EMS was called to the school at about 12:30 p.m.
Apparently, one student took the substance to school and passed it out to other students. The children who ingested it complained of throat irritation, NBC Washington's Derrick Ward reported. It's unknown how much cocaine was involved.
Four students were taken to an area hospital by ambulance for observation. A fifth, who didn't ingest the cocaine but had recently had surgery, was taken to the hospital as a precaution. Parents took a sixth student from the school.
Police are investigating how the student obtained and distributed the cocaine. The student was charged with possession of a controlled substance. The Office of the Attorney General will decide how to proceed.
Counselors will be at the school Monday -- school's not in session Friday -- to discuss the incident and educate students about drug prevention and the dangers of drugs.
Fan, Follow and Text: Get the latest from NBCWashington.com anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)