News4's Dianna Russini is in Richmond throughout Redskins Training Camp, and sending regular reports. Here's today's news from camp:
Hello from Richmond! It's about 93 degrees but feels like 103. All the team stores, food trucks, and tents are set up, ready to go for tomorrow.
Today, the players reported to training camp at the Bon Secours training facility. The team worked out for about 20 minutes; only one player failed their conditioning test (that would be Mo Hurt).
Tomorrow Jason Hatcher, Leonard Hankerson, Stephen Bowen, and Mo Hurt will start on the PUP list.
Robert Griffin III did walk out on the field early Wednesday to watch some of his teammates stretching and going through conditioning work. Like always, he was all smiles as he gets ready for his third season at quarterback with the Redskins. Remember RG3 didn't have a preseason last year since he was still rehabbing his knee.
First-year head coach Jay Gruden spoke to reporters for about 20 minutes. My 3 take aways:
- He wants RG3 to get as many reps as possible
- Picking and choosing the best players for this 53 man roster will be difficult but that's what they want. That means it's competitive out on the field.
- For any head coach, a first training camp can be challenging. Gruden has spoken to lots of current and past coaches and even took advice from many assistants to what works and what doesn't in camp.
The players told me they are happy with his first decision on this team: early morning practices. Practice gets going Thursday at 8:45 a.m. in front of the thousands of fans that will show up.
A few tips for those who are going:
- If you like those Redskins bucket hats, the team store here in Richmond has them. $30 each. They sold out in two days last year.
- Don't stand near the ropes. The reporters have to stand on the sidelines to take notes. We get in the way! Find higher ground.
- RGIII is known to stay out on the field for up to an hour after practice signing ... so don't give up!