Woman Dies in Charles County House Fire

Fire broke out around 1 a.m. Wednesday in the 5300 block of Stuckey Road in Indian Head

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013  |  Updated 6:09 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A 66-year-old woman died in a house fire early Wednesday after family members were unable to reach her.

Megan McGrath

A 66-year-old woman died in a house fire early Wednesday after family members were unable to reach her.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

A 66-year-old woman died in a house fire early Wednesday after family members were unable to reach her.

The fire broke out around 1 a.m. at 5315 Stuckey Road in Indian Head, Md.

Authorities say that despite family members' efforts, Geraldine R. Key couldn't escape from the fire in her bedroom. The rest of the family was forced to flee the house, which was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

They said it was a difficult fire to fight, News4's Megan McGrath reported. Since the home was located in a rural area, there were no fire hydrants, and firefighters had to bring in tanker trucks to fight the blaze.

One firefighter sustained a burn injury at the scene.

The home was destroyed. Five generations had been living together in the house, and four children and three adults were displaced, McGrath reported.

Key's daughter-in-law told McGrath that Key was a wonderful person.

"If you needed a place to stay, Geraldine Key would open her door," said a family friend.

Investigators believe the fire started when household items came in contact with a kerosene heater. Damage is estimated at $80,000.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out