Mother Claims Baby Found Coke Spoon in VA Motel 6

Child rushed to the hospital

Tuesday, Feb 7, 2012  |  Updated 12:38 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Mother Said Infant Ingested Coke at Motel

Eleven-month-old Jahmai Portis.

Photos and Videos

Mother Said Infant Ingested Coke at Motel

A mother said that during a recent stay at a Virginia Beach Motel 6, her son found a spoon covered in cocaine and began teething on it.
More Photos and Videos

A mother claimed that during a recent stay at a Motel 6 in Virginia, her baby sucked on a spoon covered with cocaine, causing a trip to the emergency room.

April Portis brought her 11-month-old son, Jahmai to Virginia Beach to meet her grandparents, sister station WAVY reported.

Portis said while the child's grandmother was in the motel room to visit, she noticed the baby teething on an unfamiliar object.  The mother said when she took it away, it appeared to be a burnt metal spoon covered in cocaine residue.

Police said the spoon did test positive for the illicit substance.  The child was rushed to the hospital and treated for "nontoxic accidental cocaine ingestion," WAVY reported.  The boy is expected to be OK.

The family claims after the incident, the motel moved them to a different room, where they found a crack pipe.

In a Statement to News4, Motel 6 says it takes guests concerns very seriously, and that management has taken measures to ensure standards of cleanliness are upheld.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993,... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out