How sweet it is.
Twelve D.C.-area residents cracked the Forbes 400 list of the richest people in America.
An heiress to the Mars candy company family is the top D.C.-area resident on the most recent Forbes 400 list of the richest people in America. Jacqueline Mars, who lives in The Plains, Va., came in at No. 20 nationally and is reportedly worth $13.8 billion. Mars' father invented M&M's and the Mars bar.
Mars is worth 13 times more than Washington Redskins owner and Potomac, Md., resident Dan Snyder, who Forbes said is worth $1.05 billion. Snyder, who is also the primary investor in media company Red Zebra Broadcasting, is the lowest-placing D.C.-area resident to make the list, coming in at No. 397 nationally.
Washington Nationals owner Ted Lerner, who lives in Chevy Chase, Md., is the second-highest local to make the list. Lerner is ranked No. 103 nationally and is reportedly worth $3.3 billion.
Also on the list is AOL founder Steve Case, coming in at No. 331, and Richard and Bill Marriott, the two sons of Marriott Corporation founder J. Willard Marriott, who came in at No. 312 and No. 331, respectively. Richard lives in Potomac, Md., while Bill resides in McLean, Va.
- No. 20: Jacqueline Mars, The Plains, $13.8 billion (Mars candy company family)
- No. 103: Ted Lerner, Chevy Chase, $3.3 billion (Washington Nationals owner)
- No. 117: Mitchell Rales, Potomac, $3 billion
- No. 139: David Rubenstein, Bethesda, $2.7 billion (Carlyle Group)
- No. 139: William Conway, McLean, $2.7 billion (Carlyle Group)
- No. 139: Daniel D'Aniello, Vienna, $2.7 billion (Carlyle Group)
- No. 139: Steven Rales, D.C., $2.7 billion
- No. 312: Richard Marriott, Potomac, $1.4 billion (Marriott Hotel family)
- No. 331: Bill Marriott, Potomac, $1.3 billion (Marriott Hotel family)
- No. 331: Steve Case, McLean, $1.3 billion (AOL founder)
- No. 375: Bernard Saul, Chevy Chase, $1.1 billion
- No. 397: Dan Snyder, Potomac, $1.05 billion (Washington Redskins owner)
For the full Forbes 400 list, click here.