A 7-year veteran of the Howard County, Md. Police Department has been indicted in a March 2013 assault during which he was off-duty.
According to a statement from Police Chief William McMahon, Lawrence C. Cook is currenly on "no-duty" status with pay due to the indictment. McMahon didn't comment on the specifics of the assault, but said the Howard Co. Police Department is conducting an internal investigation.
"I want Howard County citizens to have confidence that our detectives conducted a thorough criminal
investigation into the allegations," McMahon said in the statement released Friday.
Stay with NBCWashington.com and News4 for more on this developing story.
MORE ON NBCWASHINGTON.COM
- Howard U. Student Killed During NW Robbery Attempt
- Mother, Daughter Drown in Prince William County Lake
- Bullet Fired in the Air Strikes Chesterfield Boy
- Police: Man Bites Off Friend's Ear While Driving on I-95S
- Seven-Year-Old Dies at Annapolis Parade
- Fire Chief Says He's Not Stepping Down