Home Burns in Historic Laurel

By Matthew Stabley
|  Thursday, Nov 22, 2012  |  Updated 8:07 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
News4 Prince George's County Bureau Chief Tracee Wilkins reports on why police say the family's Thanksgiving turkey may be to blame for the fire.

Tracee Wilkins

News4 Prince George's County Bureau Chief Tracee Wilkins reports on why police say the family's Thanksgiving turkey may be to blame for the fire.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

About 45 firefighters battled a blaze in Laurel, Md., Wednesday night, according to the Laurel Fire Department, which got the call just after 10:30 p.m.

The fire displaced three adults from a two-story home in the 500 block of Prince George's Street in Laurel's historic district and caused an estimated $100,000 in damage.

Units were dispatched from Prince George’s County, Anne Arundel County, Howard County and Laurel.

Investigators believe a propane tank caught on fire and exploded on a wooden back deck before extending to the house.

One firefighter was transported to a hospital with minor injuries.

Investigators believe the fire was accidental. The homeowner's daughter was smoking a turkey with a propane grill, according to Mark Brady of Prince George's County Fire. Embers may have ignited the fire, or the grill may have been too close to the vinyl siding.

Such grills should be kept 3-10 feet from homes and on non-combustible surfaces, Brady said.

The homeowners don't expect to be able to return for six months.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out