'Hero' Helps Rescue Family From Fire

Fire officials say a neighbor ran into the burning home

By Lauren DiSanto
|  Sunday, Apr 8, 2012  |  Updated 9:25 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A man in Lorton is being called a hero after he rescued his neighbors from their burning home.  Jane Watrel reports.

NBC4 Washington

A man in Lorton is being called a hero after he rescued his neighbors from their burning home. Jane Watrel reports.

advertisement

A two-alarm fire broke out just before 5 p.m. on the 9200 block of Forest Greens Drive in Lorton, Virginia Saturday night.

The fire started because of an unattended candle, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.

Two women, a girl, and a dog were inside at the time and all made it out safely, according to the fire department.

Authorities are praising a "hero" neighbor, Bill Kim, for running into the burning house to help.

Fire officials say Mr. Kim's daughter alerted him to the flames and he immediately went down to the house. He ran through the front door and told the women inside they needed to get out immediately, according to fire officials. They say moments later flames tore through the front door.

The fire department says his actions made a huge difference in the outcome of the fire.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out