Authorities were called to a restaurant on I Street Northwest Saturday afternoon after two suspicious envelopes were discovered. .
Hazmat crews responded to BLT Steak at 1625 I Street at around 3:30 p.m. Investigators say one of the letters was opened and had a harmless powder inside. The second letter was unopened however and sent to the FBI for further investigation.
Seven other suspicious letters have been discovered in the D.C. area this week. Envelopes with white powder in them have previously been received at the following establishments:
- Amorini Panini on F Street, NW
- Aria Pizzeria & Bar on F Street, NW
- Osteria Bibiana restaurant, located at New York Avenue near 12th and H
- Amidon Elementary School, located at 401 I Street in Southwest
- Oyster-Adams School on 19th Street in Northwest
- Interstate Commerce Commission at 1201 Constitution Avenue, NW
- Environmental Protection Agency at 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW