Prince George's County Firefighters found a body in the smoldering wreckage of an abandoned house Wednesday morning.
Investigators say there was evidence, including a mattress, that someone were staying in the home, located in the 15000 block of Buck Lane in Upper Marlboro. Neighbors told authorities that two homeless people were known to stay there.
Firefighters were called to the scene around 2:15 a.m., but the strength of the fire forced them to battle the flames from the exterior at first.
They entered the home after about 45 minutes and found a body after entering the burned-out shell.
An autopsy will be conducted to determine the person's identity and cause of death. County homicide detectives have joined the investigation, which is standard operating procedure, the fire department says. At this point, fire investigators say they haven't found anything suspicious.
This was the second fire at the home since April. Investigators still sifting through debris to make no one else was in the house when it burned, reports News4's Darcy Spencer.