The U.S. Post Office is joining the cost-cutting bandwagon, with plans to close or consolidate hundreds of its post office locations across the country, including in 15 in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
- Columbia Heights Finance, 3321 Georgia Ave. NW
- Fort Davis, 3842 Pennsylvania Ave. SE
- Ledroit Park, 416 Florida Ave. NE
- Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Ave. SW
- Navy Annex
- Northeast, 1563 Maryland Ave. NE
- Petworth, 4211 9th St. NW
- Randle, 2306 Prout St. SE
- Woodbridge, 2211 Rhode Island Ave. NE
- the Hollins College and Williamson Road offices in Roanoke
- the Buckroe Finance Unit on Buckroe Avenue in Hampton
- the Norfolk Business Center office on Eltham Avenue in Norfolk
- Friendship Heights, 5330 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda
- Silver Spring Center, 8455 Colesville Road, Silver Spring
The Postal Service, which expects to lose more than $7 billion this fiscal year, has already put a hiring freeze in effect, cut post office hours, and frozen salaries of Postal Service officers and executives.
As part of its cost cutting measures, the agency may also reduce mail delivery from six to five days a week.