The city is making preparations for the hundreds of thousands of attendees expected to attend the Concert for Valor on Veterans Day -- and that means dozens of road closures, as well as Metro schedule changes.
All stations will be open except Smithsonian. Metrorail will be open from 5 a.m. to midnight, with selected stations open past then.
However, Blue Line trains will be replaced by Yellow Line trains for the day. See a full explanation and special service map on Metro's website, including information on special trains running to and from Arlington Cemetery.
The following stations will stay open past midnight; however riders must be in the stations by midnight:
- Metro Center
- Federal Triangle
- L'Enfant Plaza
- National Archives
- Gallery Place
- Federal Center SW
- Union Station
- Judiciary Square
- Capitol South
Train times will start off on a normal schedule, but right before and after the concert, trains will operate on a rush hour schedule, running every two to three minutes in most places. Metro says it will maximize the number of rail cars and provide more than a normal weekday rush hour, and will provide more eight-car trains.
Those wanting to reach Arlington Cemetery can board special Metrorail shuttle trains from the south, as well as free buses from the Rosslyn and Pentagon stations.
Metro recommends that riders preload their SmarTrip cards with round-trip fares, or purchase paper farecards in advance, to avoid long lines at fare machines.
Parking will be free at Metro-owned lots, and fares will be off-peak prices all day.
Metrobus will operate on a normal Saturday schedule, with additional trips around rush hour times. Some routes around the National Mall will be effected. There will also be a shuttle bus running between Reagan National Airport and Arlington Cemetery.
Beginning at 6 a.m. Tuesday, the following roads will be closed off:
- Constitution Avenue NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to 18th Street NW
- Madison Drive NW from 3rd Street NW to 15th Street NW
- Jefferson Drive SW from 3rd Street SW to 15th Street SW
- Independence Avenue SW from 3rd Street SW to 17th Street SW
- Maryland Avenue SW from Independence Avenue SW to 7th Street SW
- 3rd Street from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street SW
- 4th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to C Street SW
- 6th Street NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Constitution Avenue NW
- 6th Street SW from Independence Avenue SW to C Street SW
- 7th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to C Street SW
- 10th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- 12th Street ramp from I-395 to Pennsylvania Avenue NW
- 14th Street from E Street NW to C Street SW
- 15th Street from E Street NW to Maine Avenue SW
- 17th Street from C Street NW to Independence Avenue SW
A few additional closures went into effect Nov. 3 for venue setup:
- 4th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to C Street SW closed 12:01 a.m. Nov. 3, and will remain closed through Wednesday at 10 a.m.
- Madison Drive NW between 3rd and 4th streets will close at 6 a.m. Monday, Nov. 10 through 10 a.m. Wednesday.