The comedian was home at the time, but was not injured. All of the fish - including a shark - also survived.
The blaze, which began at 8:34 a.m Wednesday and was declared under control by 9:01, appeared to have started when either a light or pump attached to the fish tank in his home shorted. Sprinklers in Morgan's home -- and others on the floor -- had doused the fire and caused water damage across many other units in the building by the time firemen arrived on the scene.
The "Saturday Night Live" alum -- who starred in the sketch below as Brian Fellow, a man with a "6th-grade education and an abiding love for all god's creatures" -- thanked the Fire Department afterward.
"My thanks to the New York Fire Department for their quick action," Morgan said in a statement. "Fortunately, the fire did not spread and no one in the building was hurt. Even the fish are okay."
"The View" co-host Sheri Shepherd, who lives in the same building and plays Morgan's TV wife on "30 Rock," mentioned on the air that she had gotten a call from her nanny telling her about the fire and informing her that her floor had been flooded.