All the teams playing in Cleveland on Friday had practices on Thursday that were open to the public. Most teams also have a practice off-site that is closed to the public, making the public practice more of a show for fans. For George Mason, it was complete with a set list that, according to Coach Jim Larranaga, was devised by team pep band leader Doc Nix.
- Bon Jovi's “Living on a Prayer,” the theme for Mason's 2006 Final Four run, had most fans screaming out the chorus at the top of their lungs if not a tad bit out of tune. But the tunes also ranged to other karaoke favorites including:
- “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor (though you should check out Cake’s remake). That tune had Ryan Pearson singing along and a security guard in the upper deck dancing.
- “Everybody Have Fun Tonight” by Wang Chung. Most people were confused and wondered where this came from but were happy enough to tap along to the tune.
- “Pour Some Sugar on Me” by Def Leppard. I can’t hear this song anymore without a mind numbing flashback to the band’s lead singer rushing out on stage to this tune during a concert commemorating the start of an NHL season, proudly putting the Stanley Cup center stage -- upside down.
- And of course, Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing.” I would have held on to that feeling but I had some editing to do.