George Mason University pep band the Green Machine performs for NBC Washington.
All the teams playing in Cleveland on Friday had practices on Thursday that were open to the public. Most teams also have a practice off-site that is closed to the public, making the public practice more of a show for fans. For George Mason, it was complete with a set list that, according to Coach Jim Larranaga, was devised by team pep band leader Doc Nix.
- Bon Jovi's “Living on a Prayer,” the theme for Mason's 2006 Final Four run, had most fans screaming out the chorus at the top of their lungs if not a tad bit out of tune. But the tunes also ranged to other karaoke favorites including:
- “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor (though you should check out Cake’s remake). That tune had Ryan Pearson singing along and a security guard in the upper deck dancing.
- “Everybody Have Fun Tonight” by Wang Chung. Most people were confused and wondered where this came from but were happy enough to tap along to the tune.
- “Pour Some Sugar on Me” by Def Leppard. I can’t hear this song anymore without a mind numbing flashback to the band’s lead singer rushing out on stage to this tune during a concert commemorating the start of an NHL season, proudly putting the Stanley Cup center stage -- upside down.
- And of course, Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing.” I would have held on to that feeling but I had some editing to do.