A Prince George's County mother is in the hospital after jumping out of a burning window with her baby Tuesday.
Maria Dumlao and Kavona Rodgers of Prince George’s County Fire and EMS were returning to their fire house after taking a patient to a hospital when they saw smoke from the intersection.
“I saw a column of smoke and I told my partner, ‘I think there’s a fire or somebody’s burning a lot of leaves,’” Dumlao said.
“You can tell the difference between a column of steam and a column of Class A combustible smoke, so they proceeded here to the scene,” said Mark Brady of Prince George’s County Fire and EMS.
Having not heard any dispatches over their radio, Dumlao and Rodgers followed the smoke to a home on 63rd Street off Field Street in Seat Pleasant.
“We pull up, and we see the flames rolling out the door and the window,” Rodgers said.
With the front entrance of the home blocked, the family of five went to a second-story back window.
Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia local news, events and information
“Emotions are everywhere, because first you don’t know what you’re rolling up on,” Rodgers said. “You don’t know who’s in the home. You don’t know how many children or what have you. My concern was making sure that everyone was out of the home once we arrived.”
Three teenagers, an adult mother and a 1-year-old baby all safely got out of the house.
The woman suffered a burn to her face, smoke inhalation and an ankle injury and was taken to a hospital. Her 1-year-old son was taken to a hospital for evaluation of possible smoke inhalation.
A candle caused the fire. Damage is estimated at $60,000.