One of the six Wilson High School students charged in the January attack at the Gallery Place Metro station was arrested for returning to the subway system Friday, police said.
Just after 8 a.m. Jan. 28 at the Gallery Place station, about 20 to 30 students were on the platform when at least one teen punched a 35-year-old man, police said. When the man fought back, other teens joined the fight.
Five boys and one girl ages 16 and 17 were charged with aggravated assault, conspiracy and assault on a police officer, among other charges.
The teenagers have been allowed to return to school, but a judge ordered they stay away from the Metrorail system
But one of those teens apparently didn't listen.
"They stopped that individual and a second individual and determined that in fact he was one of the six of those students," Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said.
That teen was arrested at the Tenleytown station. He faces charges of contempt of court and unlawful entry in addition to the assault charges from the fight.
Metro knew some of the students were still riding the train, and police were waiting for them to get off at Tenleytown and walk to school. If a judge says someone can't ride the rails, Metro will position police where that person is likely to be getting on or off the train.
Some of teens attorneys said the Metrorail restriction was overly burdensome and causing them to be late to school. The judge declined their request to lift the restriction Monday, saying, “This condition is difficult for everyone, I’m sorry. But there is probable cause.”
Violent crime in the Metro system prompted transit police to increase patrols.
"Those officers will be on the platform," Stessel said. "They'll step onto the car, they'll make sure everthing is OK, they'll check with passengers to confirm that."
It will take time to determine if policies like "step on, step off" will deter crime, which is up slightly this year compared to this time last year.