Fire Marshal: Shed Explosion Appears to be Accidental

State Fire Marshal investigators said it appears the explosion of a storage shed in Carroll County was accidental, but they don’t have the exact reason for the incident.

Bernard Toporzycki, 56, was attempting to enter the shed behind his home when it exploded. Authorities said Toporzycki suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns and trauma injuries, and was take via helicopter to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center.

He is listed in critical but stable condition. There were no other reports of injuries.

Debris and the shockwave from the explosion damaged 11 homes in the area. Three of those homes were deemed to be temporarily unsafe to live in.

Fire officials are still searching for the cause of the blast.

Contact Us