What to Know
- Everything around the National Mall, including the Arlington Memorial Bridge, will be closed at 6 a.m. Monday
- There will also be closures along Constitution and Pennsylvania avenues for the parade that begins at noon.
- The National Park Service has some safety tips and suggestions on how to get around the area.
Expect major road closures if you're heading into downtown D.C. on the Fourth of July.
All streets near the National Mall and the Arlington Memorial Bridge are closed until about 11 p.m. Monday. Constitution and Pennsylvania avenues NW also will be closed during the Independence Day parade set to begin at noon.
Security is a top priority. As tens of thousands of people are expected to flood D.C. for the long holiday weekend, expect a heavy police presence.
The fireworks safety zone at the National Mall extends from the World War II Memorial to the east to nearly the Korean War Veterans Memorial to the west, Constitution Avenue, Northwest to the north and Independence Avenue, Southwest to the south.
A secure area includes the Lincoln Memorial, the area around the Reflecting Pool, the Tidal Basin area and the grounds surrounding the Washington Memorial. There are several secure entry points around the edges, which can be found on a map from the National Park Service.
The National Park Service said no guns, knives or ammunition are allowed on the Mall, and visitors must leave their drones at home. Other prohibited items include alcohol, glass containers, grills and personal fireworks.
Personal tents that block other visitors' views or tents that require stakes are prohibited. Authorities also are urging people to leave their pets at home.
The following roads will be closed and off limits to vehicles on Monday, July 4 (information from the National Park Service):
Closed from 6 a.m. until about 10 p.m.
- Arlington Memorial Bridge and Arlington Memorial Circle on the Virginia end, to and including Lincoln Memorial Circle in the District
- Rock Creek Parkway south of Virginia Avenue NW to Lincoln Memorial Circle, including all approaches and ramps
- Parkway Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Henry Bacon Drive NW
- Daniel Chester French Drive SW
- Lincoln Memorial Circle and all approaches and ramps into and out of Lincoln Memorial Circle, including Henry Bacon Drive N, Daniel Chester French Drive SW, 23rd Street NW and 23rd Street SW
- Ramp from Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Bridge to Constitution Avenue NW and Independence Avenue SW and Ohio Drive SW; all inbound traffic from the bridge will be directed to the E Street Expressway
- Constitution Avenue NW from 23rd Street NW to 14th Street NW
- 7th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- 4th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- 15th Street NW from E Street NW south to Raoul Wallenberg Place SW
- 17th Street, NW from E Street NW south to Independence Avenue SW
- 18th Street NW between Constitution Avenue NW and Virginia Avenue NW
- 19th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- 20th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- 21st Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- 22nd Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- Virginia Avenue NW from Constitution Avenue NW to 18th Street NW
- C Street NW from 17th Street NW to 18th Streets NW
- D Street NW from 17th Street NW to 18th Street NW
- Raoul Wallenberg Place SW to Maine Avenue SW
- Independence Avenue SW from 14th Street SW to 23rd Street SW, including merge with Rock Creek Parkway
- Madison Drive NW from 15th Street NW to 3rd Street NW
- Jefferson Drive SW from 15th Street SW to 3rd Street SW
- Ohio Drive, SW from the Inlet Bridge to Independence Avenue, SW
- West Basin Drive SW from Ohio Drive SW to Independence Avenue, SW
- East Basin Drive SW east of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial to Ohio Drive SW
- Ramp from southbound and northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP) to Memorial Avenue /Circle
- Ramp from northbound Va. Route 110 to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- Ramp from Va. Route 27 to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- The right lane of northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway from the 14th Street Bridge to Theodore Roosevelt Island.
Closed from 11 a.m. until about 10 p.m.
- 3rd Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Maryland Avenue SW
- Constitution Avenue NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to 14th Street NW
- 14th Street NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- Right lane of northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway from the 14th Street Bridge to Theodore Roosevelt Island
Closed from 3 p.m. until about 12 a.m., July 5
- Eastbound U.S. Route 50 ramps to the George Washington Memorial Parkway and roads in the immediate area of U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial;
- Southbound GWMP ramp to 14th Street Bridge (9 p.m. – 9:45 p.m. as necessary)
- Northbound GWMP ramp to 14th Street Bridge (9 p.m. – 9:45 p.m. as necessary)
- The Washington Monument will close at 5 p.m. on July 3 and be closed all day on July 4.
- The World War II Memorial will close at 4 p.m. on July 4 as part of the fireworks safety zone. Cleanup of the World War II Memorial will begin immediately following the fireworks show and the site will open as soon as the cleanup is complete.
- Access to Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial will be limited after 8 p.m. The memorial will remain open, but the public will not be able to access the memorial from Independence Ave. after 8 p.m. Access will be available from West Basin and Ohio Drives.
- Paddle boats at the Tidal Basin will not operate.
- Big Bus Tours will not operate on the Mall on July 4.
- The D.C. Circulator’s National Mall route will not operate on July 4.
- East Potomac Golf Course will close at 3:30 p.m. (last 18-hole tee time will be 11 a.m., last 9-hole tee time will be 1 p.m.)
- East Potomac Tennis Center will close at 3 p.m.
- Potomac Riverboat Company water taxi service to the National Mall will not operate.