Friday evening, Metro did not plan to alter its Saturday service because of Hurricane Irene.
Expect regular weekend service, but monitor www.wmata.com for updates.
Metro offered the following advice:
- Weather-related delays are possible this weekend. If you must travel, please allow additional time to complete your trip.
- Check wmata.com for service updates before starting any trip. Metrorail customers may also sign up for Metro alerts via email, tune to broadcast traffic reports or follow Metro on Twitter @wmata for the latest service information.
- Notify Metro employees of any unsafe conditions.
- Use caution on wet surfaces, including platforms and escalators.
- Stand back from platform edges and curbs – especially given the potential for high winds during the storm.
- Do not open umbrellas within the Metrorail system (e.g. on outdoor platforms). High winds can blow them on the tracks.
- Metrobuses and MetroAccess vehicles will detour around downed trees and flooded streets, as necessary. Please allow additional travel time. Bus customers should note that NextBus results may be unreliable due to the system’s inability to reflect extreme road conditions.
- Watch Live: Hurricane Irene Coverage
- Track the storm with our interactive radar.
- Share your photos with us and other readers.
- Check the latest severe weather alerts.
- Prepare yourself and your home for the hurricane.
- By the numbers: Hurricane Irene.
- Dramatic photos of the hurricane.
- Power outages: Info from your power company.
- Complete weather coverage and News4 video forecasts.
- Hurricanes through history.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)