Magruder High School

Magruder High School Students Return 4 Days After Shooting

The community is rallying around #MagruderStrong as a 15-year-old student shot on campus Friday fights for his life

NBC Universal, Inc.

Students at Magruder High School in Montgomery County, Maryland, returned to school Tuesday, four days after a junior there shot a sophomore in a bathroom after an ongoing dispute, police say.

The victim remains in critical condition.

The first day back came with reminders everywhere of what happened Friday. Police cars lined the street, and officers stood by the entrance. One officer held a sign bearing the message "You are loved."

Some families said they still have continued concerns after the shooting.

"Hopefully it never happens to any schools in any places," said Keeko Thompson, whose son is a freshman at Magruder.

The student accused in the shooting is 17-year-old Steven Alston, Jr., who is being charged as an adult with attempted second-degree murder.

"The victim in this case did not identify who shot him, and in fact I don’t believe he shared that he had been shot initially," Montgomery County Police Chief Marcus Jones has said.

Police put out a picture of the ghost gun they say Alston used. Alston told authorities he bought parts for the 9 mm ghost gun online and assembled it with a friend, a prosecutor said in court Monday.

Thompson says that worries her.

"It kind of scares me to know everybody can buy guns," she said. "Hopefully before it happens, parents notice it."

Students at Magruder High School in Montgomery County, Maryland, are set to return to school Tuesday, four days after a student was shot on campus. News4’s Juliana Valencia reports on how students are showing resiliency and support for the community.

Police said there were also other students in the bathroom when the shooting happened. But instead of calling 911, the students simply tweeted about it, police said.

Alston is being held without bond. His attorney had asked that he be released so he could take classes virtually, but a judge denied that request. The judge granted a request that Alston be held at a juvenile facility.

Members of the school community made plans to wear the school colors of navy, gray and white on Tuesday, to show support for the 15-year-old who is fighting for his life.

Tuesday was a half-day to give students an opportunity to speak with counselors. Students didn’t come to school Monday due to a pre-planned planning day for teachers.

Students also had an extended advisory period Tuesday to “help them process, cope, and learn from Friday’s events,” assistant principal Dr. Sofía Vega-Ormeño said on social media.

Friday's shooting led to a lockdown that went on for hours.

The case is being heard in an adult court now, but there is a chance a judge could decide to handle it in juvenile court.

Contact Us