Magnifying Glass Caused Fire in Virginia Home, Police Say

112315 magnifying glass
Shutterstock

A fire that erupted inside a Fairfax County, Virginia home on Friday was caused by a magnifying glass, fire department officials say.

The blaze about 9 a.m. Friday in West Springfield was caused by direct sunlight shining through a magnifying glass, the Fairfax County Fire Department said. The sunshine ignited an office chair.

Smoke detectors sounded on the 8500 block of Tuttle Road and alerted the residents. Firefighters encountered smoke on the first floor of the two-story home and then put out the flames. No one was hurt.

The fire caused an estimated $1,900 damage.

Contact Us