Hoverboard Sparks Fire at Bethesda Apartment Building

Three adults and two children escaped the fire

A hoverboard burst into flames while it was charging inside of an apartment in downtown Bethesda, Maryland, fire officials said.

The fire broke out about 4 p.m. Sunday at an apartment on the fifth floor of The Metropolitan on Old Georgetown Road, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer posted to Twitter. Three adults and two children inside the apartment managed to escape, Piringer said.

Piringer said it's unclear why the hoverboard sparked the fire that quickly spread to nearby objects in the apartment.

About 75 firefighters responded and they evacuated the building. Several downtown roads were closed as they responded.

No one was hurt.

Piringer said the building sustained about $75,000 in damages and about $25,000 worth of items inside the building were destroyed.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating. 

Contact Us