House Fire Caused by Smoking Materials, Officials Say

Improperly discarded smoking materials caused a fire at a Fairfax County home early Wednesday morning, fire officials said.

Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department responded to the home at 13303 Hollinger Ave. in Chantilly around 1 a.m. Wednesday. There, firefighters found heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof of the attached garage.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about  20 minutes, with only minor smoke and fire getting into the inside of the home.

A man who was home at the time sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Damage is estimated at $65,000.

Fire investigators said the fire was accidental. Authorities released the following tips to discard smoking materials safely:

  • Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away, as they can smolder and cause a fire.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers.
  • Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
  • Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
  • If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
  • To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You won't be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.
Contact Us