#GivingTuesday is on track to shatter records as eager philanthropists and global citizens support the charities and causes they hold close to their hearts.
Observed annually on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration.
Since its inception in 2012, the movement has engaged over 10,000 nonprofit organizations worldwide and impacted over a million individuals in more than 70 countries.
Here are some organizations you can help in the D.C. area:
• The College of Southern Maryland is using donations received on #GivingTuesday to launch its "Make An Impact" campaign. Donate here.
• The Salvation Army hopes to boost contributions on Giving Tuesday to provide for the financially disadvantaged during the holidays. Donate here.
• Donations to Martha’s Table will go toward helping families in need. Donate here.
Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia local news, events and information
• Miriam’s Kitchen asks for donations to help end chronic homelessness in D.C. Donate here.
• Goodwill of Greater Washington is celebrating Giving Tuesday by raising money for job training programs. Donate here.
• A donation to the D.C. Diaper Bank will help ensure babies and toddlers grow up healthy with the diapers they need. Donate here.
• DC SCORES has a goal to serve every student in D.C. deserving of a team. Donate here.
• A donation to N Street Village will help hundreds of homeless and low-income women in D.C. Donate here.
• Help keep D.C. safe by giving to Collective Action for Safe Spaces, which aims to fight gender-based violence in D.C. Donate here.
• The Housing Initiative Partnership in Prince George’s County donations will help create housing and economic opportunities for low to moderate income families. Donate here.
• A donation to Kids R First will help more than 28,000 kids who struggle to afford school supplies in Fairfax and Loudoun counties. Donate here.
• A donation to the Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault funds efforts to end sexual violence in Maryland. Donate here.
• Prince George’s Community College Foundation, Inc. has a list for ways to give, including cash donations, gifts and other methods. Their list of suggestions is here.
• The Friends of Guest House provides a list of ways to donate and support their work. Donate here.
• Donations to St. Coletta of Greater Washington will help provide a variety of hands-on learning opportunities for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Donate here.