Fireplace Ashes Started Fairfax County House Fire

A fire ignited by fireplace ashes displaced a family of three, just one week before Christmas, the Fairfax County fire officials said

Firefighters were called to a home in the 5200 block of Concordia Street in the Fairfax area about 4:30 p.m. Sunday. 

Fire officials say the homeowner found the fire after returning home. 

Investigators believe improperly disposed ashes started the fire. 

The fire department is urging residents to remember the following safety tips for disposing ashes:

  • Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
  • Do not place ash containers on decks, porches or in garages.
  • Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
  • Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
  • Keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from your fireplace or stove and anything combustible.
  • Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or wood stove.
Contact Us