Fireplace Ashes Caused House Fire in Fairfax County, Officials Say

fire-shutterstock_14344325
FILE - Shutterstock

Fireplace ashes led to a house fire in Fairfax County on Thursday evening, officials said.

Fire officials said Friday that the blaze started because fireplace ashes were left too close to combustibles in the home.

No one was home when the fire broke out at 6012 Pike Branch Road in the Alexandria area. Fairfax County firefighters found heavy smoke pouring from the home's basement and first floor around 7:10 p.m.

Crews initially had trouble finding the source of the fire because it was hidden inside a wall and void spaces, but were able to put out the fire in about 15 minutes.

Damages are estimated at $65,000.

 

Contact Us