Maryland Diner Gutted by Fire

A diner that's served up all-day breakfast and Greek food for more than two decades in College Park, Maryland, is closed after a fire broke out Thursday and caused extensive damage. 

Firefighters responded about noon Thursday to Plato's Diner, located near the University of Maryland, College Park campus. The blaze erupted in the kitchen as the restaurant served lunch, a Prince George's County Fire Department representative said. Smoke could be seen billowing up from the roof. 

No one was hurt.

The diners' owners, Michelle and Tony Akaras, said on Facebook they were heartbroken by the fire but will "build again."

"This is devastating. So many memories in the diner, so many friendships made. Tony and I met there, had our engagement party, our baby shower, our son's first birthday there," the owners posted.

No information on when the diner may reopen was available immediately.

Contact Us