A 14-year-old boy was found dead in his family's Dale City, Virginia, townhome Thursday night -- and the 17-year-old boy who lived in the downstairs unit of the home has been charged with his murder, police say.
Police were called to the home in the 15000 block of Brazil Circle about 8:45 p.m. after a relative found Luis Erick Coca-Crespo, 14, dead.
The boy, who went by Erick, had suffered blunt force trauma injuries to his head and upper body, police said. A law enforcement source told News4 he also was bound.
Erick's family rented out the lower level of the townhome to the alleged killer's family, police said. The two families were distant relatives, police said.
Police have not released the suspect's name and he is being held at a juvenile detention center.
Police would not say what the motive was for the murder. According to a law enforcement source, the 17-year-old became angry with Erick.
Erick's parents are traveling back to Dale City after receiving the tragic news that their youngest child was killed. They went to Bolivia last week after Erick's grandfather died.
The boy's older sister, aunt and uncle were looking after Erick while his parents were out of town. They were not home at the time of the murder.
A family friend said Erick was friendly and kind.
"For such a good kid, who would want to hurt him? You know, he's so soft-spoken, well-mannered kid," Liz Padilla said.
Padilla said Erick's mother cut her hair for many years.
"So, it's really hard because, you know, he would always sit there at the stairways and talk with me while his mom was cutting my hair," Padilla said. "That's why it's hard to think - he's such a good kid and for it to happen in his own home and where his mom would think he'd be safe."
Erick was in the eighth grade at Mary G. Porter Traditional School, a school that says it challenges students with rigorous academics and "strong performance expectations." The school sent a letter to parents saying it will offer extra counseling for students and staff affected by his murder.
The 17-year-old will appear in court on Monday. He is currently being charged as a juvenile, but the teen may eventually be tried as an adult, according to the Prince William Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert.