Dozens of families have been forced out of their homes Sunday after a fire blazed through an apartment in Adelphi, Maryland.
The fire started on the fifth floor of the Jefferson Square Condos on Metzerott Road before shooting through the roof and attic. The flames damaged several apartment units, but no one was hurt.
Contractors were fixing the roof so residents could return to their homes. Some residents may be able to return to their homes Sunday evening, fire officials said.
The Red Cross was helping 40 families find hotel rooms for the night as firefighters put out the flames.
As families waited outside, many made the best of the situation, putting down blankets and getting to know their neighbors.
"Somebody went and got me a chair," a long-term resident said. "They take care of old people around here."
Prince George's County fire department said the fire was caused by an electrical problem and resulted in $100,000 dollars worth of damages.