D.C. Police Face Slow Response Accusation - NBC4 Washington

D.C. Police Face Slow Response Accusation

Aimee Custis says she waited over 90 minutes for officer after hit-and-run



    A D.C. woman says she waited for police for more than 90 minutes after being the victim of a hit-and-run. News4's Darcy Spencer reports. (Published Saturday, March 30, 2013)

    There are new accusations of slow response times in the District. But this time, the accusations are aimed at D.C. Police.

    Aimee Custis was walking to Union Station on Tuesday when she was hit by an SUV while in a cross walk. The driver, who Custis said appeared to be texting, yelled he was sorry and then left the scene. But it would be more than an hour before any help got to Custis.

    Custis told News4's Darcy Spencer that she called 911 three times. Finally, 80 minutes after her first call, a Capitol Police officer arrived on the scene and started taking a report. It was another 20 minutes, an hour and 40 minutes after her original call, that the D.C. police officer dispatched to the scene finally arrived.

    “When I turned down an ambulance I didn’t expect to be the top priority,” Custis told Spencer. “But it was a hit and run and I was a little surprised that it took three calls and over an hour.”

    Only 58 of 111 DC Ambulances in Service

    [DC] Only 58 of 111 DC Ambulances in Service
    D.C. Fire Chief Kenneth Ellerbe testified before a city council committee about ambulance response times. New4's Mark Segraves reports.
    (Published Thursday, March 28, 2013)

    Custis says she isn’t sure whether she will file a formal complaint with MPD, but she says she will use the experience as a tool to spread a safety message.

    “D.C. is a great city for walking and biking but we still have a long way to go.”

    D.C. Police say they are looking into the incident.

    Man Taken to Hospital in Fire Truck

    [DC] Questions After Man Goes to Hospital in Fire Truck
    Distric firefighters were forced to take a man suffering from a stroke to a hospital in a fire truck Thursday night because the closest ambulance was seven miles away.
    (Published Friday, March 8, 2013)