Autopsy Pending in Baby's Death After Swallowing Liquid Laundry Packet - NBC4 Washington

Liz Crenshaw's Guide to Consumer Issues, Recalls and More

Autopsy Pending in Baby's Death After Swallowing Liquid Laundry Packet



    How Telehealth Technology is Revolutionizing Healthcare
    Getty Images

    Autopsy reports are pending in the death of a Florida boy after he reportedly swallowed a liquid laundry packet.

    News4’s Consumer Reporter Liz Crenshaw has warned parents about the dangers of liquid laundry detergent packets around children.

    The Florida Poison Information Center says the 7-month-old boy's death is likely the first in the U.S. involving children exposed to chemicals in concentrated laundry packets.

    Monday, the District Nine Medical Examiner’s Office, which serves Orange and Osceola counties, told News4 it's waiting on toxicology reports.

    The Danger of Liquid Laundry Packets

    [DC] Warnings Not Enough to Fend Off Liquid Laundry Packet Danger
    The laundry-soap industry has launched an educational safety campaign about liquid laundry packets, but the feds say what has been done is not enough.
    (Published Monday, Aug. 19, 2013)

    News4 also spoke to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which said it is looking into the death.

    The CPSC has long criticized the detergent industry about its colorful packaging that children can mistake for candy.

    The American Cleaning Institute recently launched a new safety campaign for parents.

    The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported 5,753 children five and younger have been exposed to liquid laundry packet so far this year.

    Click here to learn more about the dangers liquid laundry packets pose to children and why the federal government says the industry has not done enough.