Wild Horse on Assateague Island Dies After Eating Dog Food

BERLIN, Md. (AP) — Officials say a wild horse had been found dead after eating dog food at Assateague Island National Seashore.

The National Park Service said in a statement that on Thursday, the body of N2BHS-AI, or Chama Wingapo, was found dead in a campground. She was 7 years old.

The statement says an investigation found the horse had ingested a “large quantity” of dog food on July 17. A necropsy determined the dog food caused a blockage and resulted in a ruptured intestine, causing death.

While the food may not have been given directly to the horse, officials say the dog food wasn’t properly stored away from the horses. The statement says all food, including pet food, must be properly stored.

The post Wild horse on Assateague Island dies after eating dog food appeared first on WTOP.

Copyright DC WTOP
Contact Us