FREDERICK, Md. (AP) — A Frederick development attorney says Wal-Mart is canceling plans to build a store along a tarnished retail strip known as the “Golden Mile.”
Dave Severn told The Frederick News-Post (http://bit.ly/2bWtFJx ) Thursday that his client, Rockwood Capital, got the news in a letter from Arkansas-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the nation’s largest retailer.
Severn says his client was “flabbergasted” by the decision, which comes several years into a development contract.
The city of Frederick had been expecting Wal-Mart to anchor a revival of the shopping area along U.S. 40 on the city’s west side.
In April, workers began demolishing the vacant Frederick Towne Mall to make way for the Wal-Mart and 16 other retail shops. The city also has been working to improve mass transit and pedestrian routes in the area.
Information from: The Frederick (Md.) News-Post, http://www.fredericknewspost.com
The post Wal-Mart cancels planned store in western Maryland city appeared first on WTOP.