Strawberries and Cream
Recipe by Pastry Chef Caitlin Dysart at 2941 Restaurant serves six.
1 cup ricotta
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the cream, sugar and lemon zest until soft peaks form.
2. In another medium bowl, beat the ricotta with a spatula until smooth.
3. Mix a small amount of the whipped cream into the ricotta. Then transfer the ricotta into the bowl with the remainder of the whipped cream; fold.
1 cup fresh cucumber juice (from 1 large English cucumber)
pinch of sugar
lemon juice to taste
1. Pour the juices and sugar into a shallow pan.
2. Place in the freezer. Every hour, take a fork and break up any ice crystals that begin to form. This will assure you don't end up with a large block of ice.
3. Leave overnight in the freezer. When ready, use a fork to portion into bowls, or onto a plate.
sugar, to taste
1. Peel the skin off of the cucumber.
2. Drag the peeler over the cucumber in long strokes to create ribbons.
3. Toss with sugar.
1 cup strawberries
Sugar, to taste
juice of one lemon
Remove the stems and any leaves from the berries. Slice and toss with sugar and lemon juice.
9 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
The most fun things to do and places to be in D.C., Maryland and Virginia
2. Gradually pour in the eggs while beating.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients, then stir them into the batter.
4. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
5. Portion the cake batter into paper baking cups. Bake at 350°F until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
1. Remove the buttermilk cake from the cupcake line.
2. Place on a plate and arrange the strawberries and cucumber ribbons around.
3. Top with the ricotta mousse.
4. Using a fork, portion the cucumber granite on top of the fruit.
5. Garnish with fresh mint.