Expect the evening commute in Prince George's County to be affected by the Washington Redskins game Monday night, and later, Metro will remain open an extra hour for fans riding the rail home from the game.
The Redskins game against the Seattle Seahawks is scheduled to begin at 8:30 p.m. at FedEx Field in Landover. Officials say drivers should plan ahead for the evening commute as a result and are encouraging drivers to carpool, ride the Metro, add extra travel time or leave early. They're also encouraging drivers who don't need to get to the stadium to avoid the area and use alternate routes.
Officials say football fans and commuters can get real-time traffic information Monday evening on Twitter by following the Prince George's County Police Department's Twitter feed and using the hashtag #GameTime.
Metrorail will stay open an additional hour following the Redskins game.
Fans traveling during the additional hour will be able to enter the system at the Morgan Boulevard and Largo Town Center stations.
Last trains depart Largo Town Center:
- Silver Line to Wiehle-Reston East at 12:11 a.m.
- Blue Line to Franconia-Springfield at 12:24 a.m.
Last trains depart Morgan Boulevard:
- Silver Line to Wiehle-Reston East at 12:14 a.m.
- Blue Line to Franconia-Springfield at 12:27 a.m.
- Blue Line to Largo Town Center at 12:32 a.m.
Station entrances at all other Metro stations will close at their normal times, but riders will be able to exit at all stations during the additional hour of service.
Riders will be able to make connections to other lines as follows:
- Orange Line to West Falls Church, Dunn Loring or Vienna: Take Silver Line and transfer to Orange Line at East Falls Church
- Orange Line toward New Carrollton: Take Blue or Silver line and transfer at Stadium-Armory
- Green or Yellow lines: Take Blue or Silver line and transfer at L'Enfant Plaza
- Red Line: Take Blue or Silver line and transfer at Metro Center