What You're Doing This Weekend
Capitol Skyline pool parties, Drink the District, Big Bad Voodoo Brunch
What are you doing tonight? We offer up some suggestions:
FRIDAY, JULY 27:
- There's a bar crawl of Olympic proportions on H Street Friday night. Things get going at the Argonaut (1433 H St. NE) before moving on to the Star & Shamrock, the Pug, and more before ending at the Queen Vic (1206 H St. NE) -- which, by the way, will offer $4 Newcastles any day Great Britain snags a gold medal. 5:30 p.m.-closing; no cover.
- South on South Capitol at the Navy Yard Fairgrounds (1299 Half St. SE) local and regional county and Southern rock bands, with alt country rock band The Highballers headlining. You'll also find mechanical bulls, games, drinks at the Bullpen, and plenty o' food trucks. 11 a.m.-midnight; free admission.
- Rock legends Rod Stewart and Stevie Nicks are on tour together once more, bringing their Heart and Soul 2012 Tour to the Verizon Center (601 F St. NW). $67-$167.
- Sign of the Whale (1825 M St. NW) throws an Olympic Kick-off Party, featuring $5 Tito's Vodka cocktails and $5 Bud and Bud Lights. Wear red, white and blue to score a free drink. 8 p.m.-midnight.
SATURDAY, JULY 28:
- Drink the District: Beer Edition (500 New York Ave. NW): unlimited beer (domestic and draft), 10 food trucks, designated drivers and live entertainment. Do you really need any other incentive to join in on the festivities? Two sessions: Noon-4 p.m. and 5-9 p.m.; $30 per session.
- With the lineup including Redline Grafiti, The Blackout Project and Lightwaves, the Capitol Groove Fest at the Navy Yard Fairgrounds (1299 Half St. SE) is a summer must-see. Head out for a day filled with nonstop live music featuring nine local bands and artists. DC’s infamous food trucks and sponser, Pinkberry will also be making appearances during the day. Doors open at noon; music 1-11 p.m.; $25.
- The Capitol Skyline Hotel (10 I St. SW) throws another Mother Trucker pool party, featuring 20+ food trucks... not to mention fire breathing, bounce houses... and balloon animals? We promise this is a 21+ party. Hence the 10 bars. 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; $15 admission.
- If you missed the past four nights of the Bethesda Outdoor Movie Series (corner of Norfolk Ave. and Auburn Ave. Bethesda, M. D.), there’s still one last chance to hang out under the stars. Saturday’s movie is “Hugo” (2011), the mysterious tale of an orphan who lives in a train station. Dusk; free.
SUNDAY, JULY 29:
- The Big Bad Voodoo Brunch is what people would call an epic brunch. An all-you-can-eat buffet, endless sangria and a live band -- all you need for an incredible Sunday afternoon at the Arts Club of Washington (2701 I St. NW). Crazy getups are encouraged. Noon-4 p.m; $40; must order online.
- Capitol Skyline's Adult Swim (10 I St. SW) will be going all-out with this week's pool party -- whichwill be hosted by Jenna Jameson. Go for a fabulous afternoon of DJs, inflatable floats, six bars, and a grill-out. Doors open 11 a.m.; free admission until 1 p.m.; $10 after.
- This isn't just any booze cruise -- Sound Waves is an electronic music cruise featuring local DJs spinning beats while you cruise along the Georgetown waterfront, past monument views and down to Arlington. Don't forget to don your glowsticks! 5:30-8:30 p.m.; $25 admission (advance purchase recommended); food and drinks extra.
Check Out the Scene: Keep up with what's happening in the D.C. area anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters.