Sarasota police say the husband of former Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris was found dead of an apparent suicide at the couple's home.
Police spokeswoman Genevieve Judge said Tuesday that Harris' husband, 68-year-old Anders Ebbeson, committed suicide.
Officers were called to the home between 7:30 and 8 a.m. Tuesday.
During a news conference at the police station, Pastor William Hild of Sarasota First Baptist Church confirmed that Ebbeson had taken his own life.
Ebbeson was a Swedish businessman. Hild, the family's pastor, says Ebbeson suffered from health issues in recent years.
Harris and Ebbeson were married in 1996.
More NBC6.com Stories:
- PHOTOS: Rock Stars Then and Now
- SoFla WOman Claims She Found Worm in Wendy's BLT Salad
- Thieves Take $500,000 Worth of Energy Drinks
- Police Identify Man Who Fell to Death at Hollywood Hotel
- PHOTOS: Outrageous Black Friday Behavior
- 3 Arrested After Dancing Atop SUV in Busy Intersection
- Man Runs on Arms and Legs to New World Record
- Men Steal Dog Mannequin From Mall