Virginia Beach has declared a local emergency and is warning residents to prepare for potential flooding and power outages as Hurricane Irene approaches Virginia's coast.
City Manager James K. Spore issued the declaration at 8 a.m. Thursday.
The city said in a news release that there's also a possibility of tornadoes.
On Thursday, city officials issued a mandatory Friday evacuation for Sandbridge, a section of the city that's among the most vulnerable in the state to storm surge, large waves and hurricane-force winds.
- Watch Live: Hurricane Irene Coverage
- Track the storm with our interactive radar.
- Share your photos with us and other readers.
- Check the latest severe weather alerts.
- Prepare yourself and your home for the hurricane.
- By the numbers: Hurricane Irene.
- Dramatic photos of the hurricane.
- Power outages: Info from your power company.
- Complete weather coverage and News4 video forecasts.
- Hurricanes through history.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)