The Night Note: 8/24/10

News you need to know.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The following stories are brought to you by the fine folks on the News4 assignment desk.

    KEMP MILL PRINCIPAL ADDRESSES COMPLAINTS IN LETTER TO PARENTS
    In response to claims he sexually harassed staff members, Kemp Mill Elementary School Principal Floyd Starnes sent letters to parents and staff last week apologizing for using "terms of endearment,'' but he also called the most serious allegations "either unsubstantiated, completely untrue or greatly exaggerated."

    The letter, dated Aug. 16, was sent in response to a controversy that erupted when several Kemp Mill teachers filed complaints over the past few months with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, alleging Starnes had called them pet names, touched them inappropriately and acted in a vindictive manner if they questioned his leadership style. (Gazette.net)

    THOUGHTS ON STRAS' INJURIES
    The conventional wisdom on Stephen Strasburg's latest injury, whatever it is, was nicely summed up by Thomas Boswell on Monday:

    Stephen Strasburg shouldn't just miss his next start. The Nats should shut him down for the year. Two warning lights in a month - first shoulder, then forearm - are enough. When an Indy car is running in the red, you may try to finish a race. You can get a new engine. But there's only one Jeezus arm. Don't wait for it to blow. (DC Sports Bog)

    ALEXANDRIA BURGLARS MAKE OFF WITH SOME COIN
    Police believe a string of burglaries, including the theft of a Confederate coin collection, at the 300 block of North Washington Street in mid-August are connected.

    Though the thefts, which occurred August 15-16, remain under investigation, authorities have not made any arrests and do not have any suspect information, said Jody Donaldson, spokesman for the city police department. The department is asking anyone with information to come forward, he said. (Alexandria Times)

    DRIVERS NEAR SETTLEMENT IN FATAL BAY BRIDGE CRASH
    A young woman who fell asleep at the wheel, causing a truck driver to plummet off the Bay Bridge is nearing settlement in the $7 million lawsuit filed by the trucker's widow and children.

    On Aug. 10, 2008, Candy Baldwin, then 19, drifted out of her lane as she crossed the eastbound span of the bridge in her Chevrolet Camaro. Truck driver John Short, traveling westbound, attempted to avoid Baldwin's car, before his 18-wheeler went over the concrete bridge wall. (WTOP)