You’ve got to do it if you’re going to grill. Every now and then you have to refill your propane tank or exchange it for a new one.
Ever wonder what would happen if something went wrong while you were driving it home?
Brian Hill knows. He spent most of Sunday in the hospital. And he is going to be shopping for a new truck.
Hill, 28, of Indian Head in Charles County, Md., pulled his 2006 Ford F-150 into his driveway around 10:40 a.m. Sunday. There was a full grill-style propane cylinder in the bed of the truck. He could hear propane being released, either because the tank was overfilled or the release valve was not working properly, according to Deputy Fire Marshal Caryn Moreland.
Hill was at the rear of the truck attempting to lower the lift gate to remove the cylinder when it exploded. The truck caught fire. Hill suffered first- and second-degree burns. His truck was destroyed. He was treated at a local hospital and released.
The State Fire Marshal is investigating the incident.
Fan, Follow and Text: Get the latest from NBCWashington.com anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)