Hurricane force winds are expected to knock out power around the region, so make sure you stay connected to loved ones.
For starters, make sure your cell phone is charged. If you lose power and decide to charge your phone in your car, make certain you do not start your car and charge the phone in a garage. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly and does not have a smell, so it often goes undetected unless you have a carbon monoxide detector.
If you lose power, cordless phones will not work.
Stay connected through an old fashioned copper-wired landline.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)