Parades, Barbecue Battles Mean Road Closures This Weekend
Planning on driving in the District this weekend? If so, you should be aware of several road closures due to the 2011 Caribbean Festival and Parade and Safeway’s XIX Annual National Capital Barbecue Battle.
The parade is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. and end around 3 p.m.
D.C. police said that the following streets will be closed at 6 a.m. on Saturday and will reopen after the parade passes and the area is safe:
- Georgia Avenue from Kansas to Allison Streets, NW
- Kansas Avenue from Georgia Avenue to Webster Street, NW
- Iowa Avenue from Georgia Avenue to Allison Street, NW
- Upshur Street from Georgia Avenue to 13th Street, NW
In addition, the following streets will be closed from 6 a.m. to around 9 p.m.:
- 9th and Barry NW to Georgia Avenue NW (By the Sherman Tower dorms of Howard Univ.)
- 9th and V Street NW to Georgia Avenue NW
The parade route is as follows:
- Parade will travel south down Georgia Avenue from Kansas Avenue, NW and proceed down to Georgia Avenue and Barry Place, NW.
- V Street will be closed to move floats from Georgia Avenue to Sherman Avenue, NW to disband.
Due to the Barbecue Battle, the following streets will be closed from Friday at 7 p.m. until around midnight on Sunday:
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW from 9th Street to 14th Street, NW
- 10th Street, NW from Constitution Avenue to E Street, NW
- 11th Street, NW from Constitution Avenue to E Street, NW
- 12th Street, NW from Constitution Avenue to E Street, NW
D.C. police also stated that closures and times are subject to change and advised motorists to proceed with caution in these areas due to increased pedestrian presence.