Stove Explosion Damages Centreville Apartment

No injuries reported; 2 buildings evacuated

Saturday, Mar 2, 2013  |  Updated 7:26 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Stove Explosion Damages Centreville Apartment

Darcy Spencer

The site of Saturday afternoon's explosion in Centreville.

advertisement

Two buildings were evacuated in Centreville Saturday afternoon after a cooking stove exploded inside an apartment.

Sources tell News4 that the explosion happened at around 4 p.m. in an apartment in the rear of the building on the 14900 block of Rydell Road. Investigators say an electric stove rear burner was left on in the apartment. The heat from the stove overheated a butane cooking stove that was nearby, producing the explosion, according to investigators.

Investigators say that the explosion blew out the sliding glass door of the apartment, but no injuries were reported and no one was inside the unit at the time. 

The incident prompted the evacuation of the building where the explosion took place, as well as an adjoining building.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out