Grease in Duct Work Caused Wheaton Mall Fire

Monday, Dec 30, 2013  |  Updated 6:19 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Hundreds of shoppers were forced out of the Westfield Mall in Wheaton today after a fire broke out. News4's Darcy Spencer reports.

Darcy Spencer

Hundreds of shoppers were forced out of the Westfield Mall in Wheaton today after a fire broke out. News4's Darcy Spencer reports.

advertisement

Grease in the duct work of a restaurant apparently caused a smoky fire that led to the evacuation of Westfield Wheaton Mall Saturday.

The fire, in the duct work of a Crisp and Juicy restaurant, caused about $180,000 in damage, Montgomery County fire officials said.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury.

The incident occurred around 11:15 a.m. Fire officials cleared the building of customers and workers as they put out the fire.

Heavy smoke kept people out of the mall for hours. It reopened around 2:30 p.m.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out