First an earthquake and aftershocks. Then a hurricane. Now -- fake calls telling some local residents to evacuate their homes.
Residents in Laurel, Md., are receiving robocalls telling them to evacuate in advance of Hurricane Irene, police told News4's Darcy Spencer.
This call is false. There has not been an evacuation order for Laurel, Md.
Police are not sure if lines have been crossed with Ocean City, which is being evacuated ahead of Hurricane Irene, or if something else has happened.
Laurel Police Department phone lines are tied up with callers inquiring about the calls.
- Track the storm with our interactive radar.
- Prepare yourself and your home for the hurricane.
- Check the latest severe weather alerts.
- By the numbers: Hurricane Irene.
- Dramatic photos of the hurricane.
- Power outages: Info from your power company.
- Complete weather coverage and News4 video forecasts.
- Hurricanes through history.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)