Two Injured in "Freak Explosion" at Md. Auto Repair Shop

By Mila Mimica
|  Friday, Aug 2, 2013  |  Updated 5:32 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
News4's Shomari Stone reports live from the site of a gas explosion at a Beltsville, Md. auto repairshop where two workers were injurd.

Shomari Stone

News4's Shomari Stone reports live from the site of a gas explosion at a Beltsville, Md. auto repairshop where two workers were injurd.

advertisement

Two people were injured after an apparent explosion at an auto repair shop in Beltsville, Md.

Crews responded to 12340 Conway Road in Prince George's County for an explosion just after 2 p.m. There they found two individuals with non-life threatening burn injuries.

Mark Brady with Prince George's County Fire told News4 five businesses with about 50 employees near the site of the explosion have been evacuated.

Brady said the two men were inside of a forklift when they drove over a manhole filled with natural gas, which subsequently exploded.

"The problem is it was very into the sewer system and extended very rapidly to the outside atmosphere causing that explosion, allowing natural gas into these commercial buildings," Brady said.

There is no structural damage to the building. Brady told News4 there is no chance of the manhole exploding again, even calling the event a "freak explosion" on Twitter

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for more on this developing story.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out