Prince George's firefighters took care to evacuate Duffy from a gas leak.
A relieved homeowner is praising Prince George's firefighters who he says saved his dog, Duffy, from a gas leak last week.
Tuesday, firefighters from the Camp Springs area responded to a natural gas leak after a contractor broke a gas line in the 7000 block of Berkshire Drive. Nearby homes had to be evacuated.
As the crew from the Morningside Fire/EMS Station, led by Firefighter/Medic Captain Donny Fletcher, went door-to-door evacuating homes, they found a dog home alone with high levels of natural gas inside the house. They rescued the dog, getting it into the fresh air and giving it food and water.
Fletcher also left a note for the homeowners, written on a piece of cardboard:
"There was a gas leak outside of your house & we had to break your door in to make sure no one was home," the note reads. "Once in, we found high levels of gas & had to get your dog outside to fresh air. She was scared at first, but came outside after some coaxing. She pee'd and pooped around noon & hung out with us at the fire truck. We put her back inside & gave her fresh food & water."
The homeowner said the firefighters went way beyond the call of duty.
“I was ecstatic," homeowner James Hunt told News4. “They made Duffy feel comfortable. She was happy.”
He expressed his appreciation in a letter sent to Prince George's government leaders.
"I would not expect anyone to take care of a strange dog," Hunt wrote. "In addition to them taking care of our baby, they opened all the windows for safety reasons.
"This was truly going above and beyond the call of duty and I wanted to take the time out to say thank you. ... As a proud Prince George's County resident, I make it a point to tell of the wonderful things that are going on in our neighborhood.”
Duffy was returned home and is doing well.