A 91-year-old man who suffered third-degree burns in a kitchen fire died Friday, police said.
Firefighters responded to a call for a reported kitchen fire in the 1800 block of Old Meadow Road in McLean, Va., Thursday just after 10 p.m.
Upon their arrival, firefighters found Carroll Adams suffering from burns to more than 40-50 percent of his body, officials said.
The victim, who lived alone at the time, was cooking when his clothes caught fire. According to authorities, a neighbor heard his calls for help and put out the fire
The victim was taken to the Washington Center Burn Unit with life-threatening injuries and later died, police said.
Fire officials said there had not been a fire fatality in Fairfax County in more than a year.