Smoke Detector Saves Two From Md. Fire

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Fire officials say working smoke detectors saved two people from a fire that gutted an Kettering, Md., townhome Tuesday morning. (Published Tuesday, Apr 8, 2014)

    Fire officials say working smoke detectors saved two people from a fire that severely damaged a Kettering, Md., townhome Tuesday morning.

    Prince George's County fire crews were called to the 2-alarm fire in the 200 block of Kettering Place around 3:30 a.m. The fire tore through all three levels of the home and burned through the roof.

    2-Alarm Fire Guts Md. Townhome

    [DC]2-Alarm Fire Guts Md. Townhome
    Fire officials say working smoke detectors saved two people from a fire that gutted an Kettering, Md., townhome Tuesday morning. (Published Tuesday, Apr 8, 2014)

    Two residents were sleeping inside the home at the time of the fire but were able to escape the flames. Fire officials say the fire shows just how important working smoke detectors are.

    "It's 3:30 in the morning; most people are asleep and these folks were. Had it not been for that working smoke alarm, I can't tell you that we'd be able to talk to them now," said Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor.

    Fire officials say a "failed power cord" in the basement started the fire.

    A neighboring home's roof suffered some minor damage.